Osaka Urban Walks

This is a collection of pictures that I took while walking around in Osaka during my mini-Kansai trip in Sept. 2010.

For some reason after they selected the "Inukshuk" as the logo for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Canada, this symbol of the native Inuit peoples of Canada suddenly became one of the symbols of Canada?

Anyways I found in inside a subway station in Osaka, Japan. I think it has to do with the fact that intensive wood was used in the architectural design of this Keihan Railway station.

IMG_0700



More accurately, it is known as the "Kansai-Canada Friendship Inukshuk".

IMG_0701

I guess it was funded by the following sponsors...

IMG_0702

As I mentioned before, they used extensive (Canadian?) wood for this station and the results are spectacular. I cannot imagine any other city outside of Japan doing this as the wood paneling would surely be scratched and vandalized within days of its opening.

IMG_0697

IMG_0698

IMG_0699

IMG_0703

IMG_0706

Japanese-style expressways. Due to a lack of land, when they were built in the 60s and 70s, they built most of them over rivers, so some rivers or canals are completely covered by elevated expressways.

IMG_0693

IMG_0694

Mido-suji street in central Osaka. I would imagine most visitors to the city will never walk by this street because most of the shops and interesting things are located on a cramped covered arcade one block east of this street. In fact, I had been to Osaka may times and I had never walked on this street until I started exploring around.

IMG_0708

IMG_0709

IMG_0711

Some giant temple built in the pre-World War II Japanese style architecture on Mido-suji.

IMG_0712

IMG_0713

IMG_0714

IMG_0715

I walked into one of the nearby arcades and found something I had never seen before, a crane game where the prizes were Haagen Dazs ice cream. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the ice cream from a supermarket?

IMG_0716

IMG_0717

The photo synonymous with Osaka. The Dontonbori entertainment and shopping area.

IMG_0718

IMG_0720

IMG_0724

The junction for Dontonbori and Shinsaibashi, the main shopping street of Osaka.

IMG_0725

The main Dontonbori street which is lined with restaurants, bars and etc.

IMG_0726

The end of the entertainment and shopping area is designated by the presence of the Naikai Railway terminal and the Takashimaya department store built inside it.

IMG_0730

IMG_0734

The next day I also explored the Shinsekai area of Osaka. Apparently one of the poorest areas of Osaka. It was modeled after New York and Paris in the 1920s which explains the presence of the Tsutenkaku Tower. One of its claims to fame are the concentration of kushi-katsu (Japanese-style deep fried kebabs) restaurants. Unfortunately, this time I did not try any.

IMG_0802

IMG_0804

IMG_0805

IMG_0806

IMG_0807

IMG_0808


IMG_0811


IMG_0813




0 comments: